Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A birthday bag

One of my friends is having a birthday.
She's hard to buy for as she's a shopaholic and I'm not really up to the point of understanding what is new and wonderful in the world of knitting, so I couldn't get her that.
In the end I thought I'd make her something. Being a fellow crafter I know she'll appreciate the input time.

She likes wine red, and although I didn't have any wine red in my extensive material stash, I did have some nice red on cream.
I'd wanted to make a bag with this material that involved cane handles... I don't know why, it's just what it cried out for.

I haven't made a bag in this shape before. I started by reading this and then modified mine to get the result I wanted. (I would advise, if inserting round handles, to shape the top of the bag a little.)
I like my bags to have a bit of a flat bottom so I made that adjustment too. It was a bit fiddly, but worth it.

And as per usual, I didn't make two because I wasn't sure how it would turn out, then when I had finished I wished I'd made one for myself.
I put two large pockets, one with two compartments. Pockets are good for knitters or all your little bits end up on the bottom, with you scrabbling through your bag trying to find them.
All in all I'm very happy with it and will have difficulty in parting with it.
I love the colours, and of course, I'm going to have to make one for me (and everyone else who admires it).

No comments: