Free pattern for afghan square
(This pattern is still in testing stages and may contain errors)
8ply (DK), 4.00mm hook for an 8inch block (my 8 inch blocks in DK, normally size up to a 12” block when using worsted weight + appropriate hook)
US terminology used.
CHSP = chain space
SLST = slip stitch
CH = Chain
SC = Single crochet
DC = double crochet
TRC = treble crochet
yoh = yarn over hook
Make 10 chain, join with slip stitch to form a ring.
1. 3CH, 23 DC in ring, sl st to 3rd loop 1st chain (= 24 DC)
2. 1ch, 1SC in each stitch (= 24 SC)
3. 4 ch, 1 TRC in 1st SC (3CH, 1TRC in next 2 DC)* repeat to end CH3 sl st to 4th chain of beginning chain
4. Sl St in 1st TRC, 2sl st in ch3space, CH4
TR Cluster1: [yoh twice, draw up loop in next stitch, yoh and draw through 1st 2 loops on hook, yoh and draw through next 2 (leave loops on hook)]* 2 more times (4TRC ch on hook)
Skip next 2TRC into next ch 3 space
TR Cluster2: [yoh twice, draw up loop in next st ch, yoh and draw through 1st 2 loops on hook, yoh and draw through next 2 (leave loops on hook)]* 3 more times, 8 loops on hook, draw through all loops.
[CH7 in next ch3space
TRC2, skip next 2TR and into next CH3sp TRC2.
(9 loops on hook) draw through all hooks. CH7] work this in each CHSP to end
Sl St in 4th CH at beginning
5. Sl St into 7 ch loop, Ch1, 12 SC in 7 CH loop *(1SC, 1 HDC, 1DC,2 TRC, 6CH, 2TR, 1DC, 1HDC, 1SC in CH7 loop) 12 SC in next CH7 loop twice* repeat ** 3 more times. Last time 11SC in CH7 loop & join with slip stitch in 1st beginning chain.
6. Sl stitch at #7 stitch in 12 SC after the corner. 9CH stitch, skip 11,
[SC 8CH Into corner DC, 2CH, DC, 8CH, SC into 7th stitch on arch, 8CH skip 11] repeat 3 times.
Slst into 2nd loop original chain stitch.
7. 4CH, 7DC into 8CH space after corner, DC into SCstitch, 7DC into chain space DC into SC stitch, 8DC into chain space, in corner space DC 2CH DC
(8DC into 8CH space after corner, DC into SCstitch, 7DC into chain space DC into SC stitch, 8DC into chain space, in corner space DC 2CH DC) repeat 3 times
Slip stitch to first chain.
8. HDC in each stitch. Into corner space 2HDC, 2CH, 2HDC
9. Sew in ends and block